Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Fear of Running.

This last few weeks, I've decided to run a fall marathon (hopefully Chicago, we'll see), and try to attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

I haven't tried to do an attempt in a few years, and it for various reason got pushed to the side for other events. But as I realized there was a certain element of trying to qualify for Boston.

It scares me to death. Yup. To Death.

It's an all or nothing investment, really. You train and train and train, for that one day, and something can go wrong, and that's it. Sure you can try to do again, but it's very hard on the psyche and the body to try to put in another attempt a few weeks later. It's mentally and emotionally draining. Marathons have ended in tears of disappointment.

So why try again? Because as afraid of it as I am, I know that it's where I'm supposed to be. It's what I have to face in order to get what I want. And it kind of excites me that it makes me afraid. It motivates me to run and train better. Turning this fear into a reward.

In running it's easy to forget why were doing things. It's gets warm again, races sneak up on us and we're back at it again. See old friends and back into the groove. We find those very easy comfort spots in running with distance, or a certain pace, or even a certain group of runners. And those comfort points can create stagnant runners.

 Make a plan. Not just for this year, a 2 year plan or 3 year plan. Where do you really want to be? What are your weaknesses? What are your strengths?  Don't just accept them and take them for granted, CHANGE them. Invest in your fears of running. Invest in yourself  And make running yours.

For 2015, I'm facing the fear. Who is going to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment