Monday, March 30, 2015

My thoughts on running the 2015 Shamrock Shuffle



I towed up to the start line of Shamrock Shuffle not really knowing I how I felt. There had been a lot of changes over the winter, some good and some bad. But I had run a pretty decent of 11 miles the previous weekend.

It was cold. Really cold.  I never really complain about the cold, so that's how you know it was cold. 32 degrees with 20 mph gusts. When we finally started my legs were really stiff, it was hard to get started and get into a good rhythm. Couldn't feel a thing the first mile.

After the first mile and warming up, I felt good, but unsure about pacing. This also due to loosing telemetry . on my Gps watch from running under Columbus Drive and Wacker, so don't panic, get into a groove and trust your pacing. Not much else you can really do about it.  I had no idea where I was, which is why mile 2 was at a 7:35 pace. Oops!

I had gears, meaning I could push the pace harder when I wanted. Shamrock has very loose corral standards, so you spend a lot of time bobbing an weaving and passing people. It was never a problem doing that, even on hills and inclines. And I passed a lot kids. Always good when you're not being smoked by kids.

Haven't run the race in a few years and the course had been changed. I liked it, but with the winds and the tall buildings, sometimes it was like running in a wind tunnel. That's when you run behind a big guy, which is what I did.

Really Pushed the last mile. Even up the hill at Roosevelt road. Didn't think I had anymore and I sprinted the last 100 meters. Felt like puking for a second. Just a second. Yeah, that's a good thing. Form is coming along nicely.

Finish time was 39:41.

My glutes hurt, but nothing else. That's a really good thing. My running form is coming along. Getting used to my shoes. I ran in Adidas adizero boost. Very comfortable racing flat. Very happy with the choice.

Next race, maybe a half in June. Until then, more training.





1 comment:

  1. blogging is kinda like running, to get good you have to get consistent. ;-)

    ReplyDelete