Monday, January 20, 2014

Observations on the Houston Marathon


So, long story short, The Houston Marathon was not one of my better efforts. I was undertrained and overmotivated. Coming in at 4:15:38. It was too warm, and training through Chicago Polar Vortex's did not help. The races 55 degree temps, deemed cool by Texan standards, left me feeling fried about mile 20.

The Houston course reminds me a lot of the Chicago marathon course, except for the constant right hand, slightly uphill bend between miles 17-20. Just kind of annoying, and not good for my right IT band. I would run it better by running down the middle of the road. But that might have of have been about my suffering pace at that time, than anything else. Few hills going back into the city 20-25, mile 26 is flat. Latter half is sunnier than the first half.

At the race expo, everyone gets a standard T-shirt, and being disappointed by this, I bought a techincal shirt, and then reading the race info later, everyone gets their techincal t-shirt (and a glass mug) after they finish. So, I have three shirts from the race. That's what I get from not reading the material before the race.

Also at the expo, Meb Keflezighi (Who won the Half Marathon National Championships the next day) was signing autographs and taking pictures, which I missed in the middle of expo glory. But I got this pic of him as he was finsihing up:

On race day, the pre race events included two religious services.

The cliched running sign of 2014 will be:  "_________, run like they do in the Hunger Games!"

Worst repeated sign: "If you fart, you'll run faster!" I hope that doesn't catch on.

Post race set-up was one of the best I've ever seen. You got your finisher's shirt, Your glass mug, get back your race bag, get an ice cream bar, have a hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy) soft drinks, milk, snacks, change your clothes in a real changing area,  and sit in a chairs like a real human, and being all under the same gigantic roof only a few feet from the finish line. All of this, with your waiting friends and family in a seperate meeting area.  The Chicago Marathon could learn a lot from this race.

At every single mile marker, there was a person yelling out split times based on the race clock.

People calling out my name with a Texas drawl, sounds pretty cool.

People were so nice. Friendly, warm and welcoming. They really enjoyed that you came to Houston, and they hoped you come back. I think I will come back.


Happy Running!



No comments:

Post a Comment